Wednesday 23 March 2011

Coughing like crazy!

So yesterday Wiyot started complaining that his mouth was tickling...

I had no idea what that was supposed to mean! However, today (and throughout last night) all he has done is cough :(

Poor little fella sounds awful. Really wheezy and short of breath... He should be going to gymnastics on Friday, somehow I can't see it happening!

As I was getting him ready for bed, I mentioned that I would book an appointment at the doctors for him in the morning. I wasn't expecting him to suddenly burst into tears! Evidence that he's still traumatised from our trip to the A&E on our holiday to Florida.

For those of you that don't know the story, last year we went on holiday to Disney World, and Wiyot came back with a rather unfortunate souvenir. On our third day there he tripped over in the villa we were renting and cut his head open on the coffee table. Luckily, there was no fractures, concussion, infections, swelling, or even bruising! However, he did have a gaping hole in his head that looked rather like a third eye, allowing you to see through to his skull... Nice! I'll spare you all the grisly photo's in case you're eating while you're reading!

An ambulance ride, seven stitches and a week of antibiotics later... Wiyot has a lovely bright pink scar on his forehead, reminiscent of Harry Potter. I knew I should have bought him the accessories from Universal!

Well anyway, as you can imagine, it was not exactly a pleasant experience for the little fella! I guess I'll be finding out tomorrow just how big the doctor phobia is :/

Not much home ed-ing today, although I have been using the time to do some research. I've been trying to find some Montessori books that are available at our library. I've also been constructing word lists to help Wiyot with his reading. At the moment focusing on the vowel sounds of ay, ee, igh, ow and the two oo's (eg look and zoo). He know's them on our speed sound cards, but as of yet, hasn't got any books to put the sounds into practice.

As I was looking for word lists, I found a rhyming word exercise and realised I already have cards made up to do this exercise. It was basically a number of different pictures and you have to match up the ones that rhyme. As soon as Wiyot is feeling up to it I think I'll get him to give it a go.

For anyone that might be interested (as well as me if I lose my other list :/), here are the words that I chose to include in my lists:

Words with 'ay'



  • Day
  • Play
  • Stay
  • May
  • Say
  • Way
  • Lay
  • Bay
  • Hay
  • Pay
  • Away
  • Clay
  • Gray
  • Tray
  • Spray
  • Sway
  • Crayon
  • Holiday


Words with 'ee'



  • Bee
  • See
  • Been
  • Deep
  • Feed
  • Heel
  • Keep
  • Meet
  • Seed
  • Tree
  • Week
  • Cheek
  • Green
  • Sheep
  • Queen
  • Sleep
  • Sweet
  • Teeth
  • Sixteen
  • Street
  • Between
Words with 'igh'

  • High
  • Sigh
  • Fight
  • Light
  • Might
  • Night
  • Right
  • Sight
  • Thigh
Words with 'ow'

  • Low
  • Tow
  • Mow
  • Row
  • Own
  • Slow
  • Blow
  • Snow
  • Yellow
  • Bow
  • Bowl
  • Elbow
  • Show
  • Grow
  • Crow
Words with 'oo' (short u)

  • Good
  • Hood
  • Wood
  • Book
  • Look
  • Cook
  • Hook
  • Woof
  • Foot
  • Wool
Words with 'oo' (long u)

  • Poo
  • Zoo
  • Boo
  • Igloo
  • Shoo
  • Moo
  • Food
  • Mood
  • Roof
  • Hoof
  • Boom
  • Bloom
  • Broom
  • Room
  • Zoom
  • Cool
  • Pool
  • Tool
  • Balloon
  • Moon
  • Spoon
  • Hoop
  • Loop
  • Boot
Well that's all for now folks!

2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy:( Our middle daughter managed to cut her head open in the middle of the night a few days before Xmas when she was about 4.It scares the daylights out of parent and child.She also gets asthma bad.Sometimes we find putting some eucalyptus oil, lavender oil (for calming) and a drop of pine needle oil (for coughs) onto a cotton ball of tissue and then tied up in material to sniff (we call it a sniffy) helps.Also Kali Mur helps dry up mucus.Hope your little guy is feeling better soon.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's much better now thank you Jessica. I will keep your suggestions in mind for the future though. With congestion we do use the expectorant oils, although this time he wasn't particularly stuffy, more of the tickle cough type thing. However I was considering getting the benzoin oil out for him. I've never used pine needle oil before though... and I have to admit that I have never heard of Kali Mur (will be googling that one later ;))

    ReplyDelete