Saturday 27 February 2010

Math buttons

Yesterday I decided to do a little math exercise I found here. We had 10 buttons, I would take x amount, Wiyot counted how many were left on the table and then had to work out how many I had in my hand. Wiyot absolutely loved it, we played for ages. He especially liked it when I either took zero buttons leaving all 10 on the table, or took all 10 leaving nothing.

After playing for a while I decided to change it a little bit by adding our number cards that we'd made some time ago. I also made some new one's as we didn't have a zero card and needed an extra 10, I also made a + and = card. Then we did the same game but Wiyot also had to find the right numbers and make them up into a sum.
Wiyot enjoyed it so much I had to call an end to the game, lol.

He then wanted to play it again in the afternoon. I decided to
change the game to a Montessori exercise I found in a library book. In this one he had to count the buttons into cups. You're supposed to do it with 11 cups labeled 0-10, but I only had 6 so we had to do it in two stages... Think he enjoyed this too as he liked playing with the buttons. As a bonus we got to discuss "too many" and "too few" when he got it a little wrong... Think he was having trouble counting the larger numbers in his hand. I also asked him things like which cup had more buttons, etc.

I made some Montessori word cards as well which he had a quick go at. He looks at the picture eg a cat and then has to work out the letters that make up the word by saying it out loud. He did most of them really well, think he struggled on "web" thought the b was a p... Will add pictures of them another day.

I ordered some books for him the other day, they arrived while we were playing with the buttons. Am looking forward to using them next week :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment